Tuesday 21 May 2013

In the Face of Tragedy...

I am so utterly broken for the people of Oklahoma and devastated at their loss. The loss of any life is hard to bear, but when that life is taken prematurely and through uncontrollable circumstances it somehow seems worse doesn't it? A tiny bit more unfair. Not to mention the loss of lives of children. I can't go there in depth this morning. I just can't - I have a full day ahead with my own children and to think about losing them... well... I find it best to do my "falling apart" after they are in bed. 
I haven't said a lot about my faith on this blog but today I am. I am not saying this to start a debate because, if I am totally honest, I don't want to debate whether or not God exists because I believe He does. He is a very real and very big part of my life (and as this is my own corner of the internet, I should be allowed to say that out loud, right?!)
Many people will blame God for this tragedy in Oklahoma today and I cannot profess to understand why these things happen or why God doesn't stop them BUT I do know that without my faith I could not make it through these things at all - I would become angry and bitter so fast and what use is that to anyone?
I love this quote from Mr Rogers (if you don't know who he is, google him!)


"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

This is so true! That is where you find God's very nature in these circumstances - in the helpers. In the outward expression of love, compassion, and provision. They offer hope - hope of better times to come, of eventual healing and recovery. Hope of a future beyond the disaster. A helper. Even from afar. The best (and most practically possible) thing I can do right now is to PRAY for these families - that in the midst of disaster they will find the hope they need and cling to it, with all they can muster. Pray that when they can cling on no longer, someone with the strength to do so will stand alongside them and help to shoulder the sadness and overwhelming pain. I know I have not lived through such a tragedy, I know I have not lost a child but we have all been through things in our lives and my God, Father, Jesus - well, they are my hope for change. 
I won't do deep & meaningful posts very often - I'm not brave at all when it comes to sharing my faith but I hope that I demonstrate it instead by the way I treat people and the way I live my life. I will leave you with one of my favourite verses from the Bible:

'"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."' (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

No comments:

Post a Comment